Sustainability and energy efficiency involve more than just protecting the environment; they’re important considerations for a business’ ethics and responsibility too. By incorporating energy efficient practices into the flexible workspace, companies can help their employees become healthier and more productive. Office business centers are much more efficient per desk than traditional space!
Why Does Energy Efficiency Matter?
It’s crucial for businesses to understand that the amount of energy they use is high. According to recent statistics, the average American consumes 4.2 times more energy than those living elsewhere in the world.
According to research conducted by the NEED Project:
- A 7-10-degree adjustment to your thermostat for 8 hours per day can lower heating and cooling usage by 10 percent.
- Stopping air leaks can help you save 10 percent on usage.
Best Practices & Techniques for Energy Efficiency
The first step in transforming your New York office into an energy efficient workplace is to increase awareness of the issues among employees, executives and management. Energy is an essential part of our transportation, heating and cooling systems, lighting, entertainment, and comfort.
Fortunately, there are many things that Manhattan companies and individuals can do to save energy.
How to Drastically Cut Energy Usage
Firstly, use flexible-term shared office space instead of long term leases with building owners.
Secondly, some energy-saving practices can cut usage more drastically than others. These are some of the best ways to make your office space more efficient:
- Natural sunlight – Take advantage of sunshine through skylights, sun tunnels, and insulated windows in place of electric lighting.
- Insulation & weatherization – Invest in high quality insulation materials to prevent heat leakage in the winter and air conditioning leakage in the summer.
- Turn off computers and printers – Wasted energy can amount to as much as 20 percent of a company’s electrical usage.
- Swap out fluorescent and incandescent lights for LED lights – LED lights require 80 percent less energy to produce the same output as other bulbs and save 10-20 percent in energy usage.
One convenient way to implement these and other energy saving practices is to find a shared office space committed making energy efficiency a priority.
More Energy Saving Tips
There are lots of things that you can do personally to help save energy and money around the workplace. Here are some additional energy saving tips to share with your employees and coworkers.
- Recycle glass, paper, and plastic waste
- Keep doors and windows closed when heating and air conditioning are on
- Turn lights off when leaving a room
- Keep air vents clear of office supplies to avoid blocking airflow
- Install motion-sensor lights in the office
- Use energy efficient appliances in the office kitchen
- Schedule regular maintenance checkups for heating and air conditioning systems
At NYC Office Suites, we place a high priority on energy efficiency in our buildings, flexible office spaces, and meeting rooms. Contact us today at 800-346-3968 or send us a message to learn about why our office space is much more environmentally responsible than any traditional New York office lease.